Thursday, March 4, 2010

ESCAPERS To Know: Brittany Radford

In preparation of our trip to New Orleans, we'll be profiling students from Case Western Reserve and Fisk Universities. Why do they want to help re-build the city? What are they looking forward to experiencing?

Brittany Radford is a 21-year-old junior at Case who is majoring in Sociology (Pre-Law). Currently, she is participating in a domestic exchange program with Fisk University.

The E.S.C.A.P.E. Times: What first drew you to AB E.S.C.A.P.E.?

BR: I have known Mrs. Janice Eatman since my senior year in high school; she told me about several service projects her office department offered for admitted students. I have always been an active participate in the community and various leadership programs that affect minorities. My sophomore year I took Mrs. Eatman up on her offer because I saw the conditions New Orleans was still in after several years. I felt that going to New Orleans would be a great experience because I had a lot to offer since I have worked in schools and with other students since 11th grade.


TET: How have you prepared for your trip?

BR: Since I am Fisk University, I sought to get Fisk students involved so that they could experience a great opportunity. This week I making a schedule for the things I need to complete each day for school so when I come back I will be fully prepared. I began to pack and create a moderate budget. Also, I have kept close contact with Mrs. Janice Eatman; my second mother and mentor.

TET: Have you ever visited New Orleans?

BR: I had the opportunity to visit New Orleans last spring break which was amazing. I love the service we did and the beautiful scenery. I think there is no other place that could define or exhibit the lifestyles of New Orleans.

TET: Have you taken part in any of the fundraising efforts? If so, which ones?

BR: My sophomore year I helped with fundraisers but since I am at Fisk, no. However, I did help to create the Facebook group for students and chaperons.

TET: Which project sites are you looking forward to visiting the most?

BR: I have a big heart for schools and education. I have been a tutor and mentor since my 11th grade in high school and have continued while in college. I am a product of Cleveland Public Schools and know the trials and tribulations face in trying to obtain secondary education. As a result, I feel it is my duty to help those and possibly give them advice on situations I have faced.

Last year it brought a smile to my face to see the affect Case students had on the little children, I felt we really made a difference. I can remember sitting in class with the students and reading to them and writing poems about them. All the students wanted to know what I was writing about. Also, visiting the Amistad Research Center is a great experience, I love paintings and sculptures; so much history in one place about African-Americans.


TET: What else are you looking forward to doing while you're in New Orleans?

BR: I am looking forward to the food, no other place can make red beans and rice like New Orleans. Also, I am looking forward to the new friendships and exchange of experiences with other students from different universities.

TET: How do you anticipate this trip shaping or changing your college experience?

BR: Upon going to New Orleans my sophomore year it taught me to be more appreciative of the things I have and realize that some people do not even posses the simple necessities of everyday life. Also, this trip showed me the importance of community service and that people should make it a significant part of their life. Growing up in the inner city of Cleveland and a high school with low graduation rates, people began to stigmatize students and demand low expectations. However, students like me can challenge this idea and show students in these situations around the world that where you come from should not define who you become but push you to change them.

TET: What local New Orleans food are you looking forward to trying?

BR: I really like the red beans and rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment